All thread types aren’t the same! Here is some info on some basic thread types.
- Dual Duty by Coats&Clarks is a polyester wrapped in cotton and some see more breakage than others in usage.
- Gutermann is a good brand and is also available in cones of serger thread
- Metrosene is a good brand and is also available in cones of serger thread
- Sulky brand thread is used for machine embroidery
- Robison-Anton is an embroidery thread available in polyester and rayon and is used for machine embroidery
- YLI Wooly Nylon is a specialty thread for use in serger loopers. It’s especially good for very stretchy fabrics like swimwear materials and leotards.
- Maxi-lock cones are for use with sergers, can be used in general sewing also. May see some breakage in general sewing as it is a 2 ply thread.
- Within several of the above brands you will also find categories such as thread for quilting, topstitching, upholstery or heavy duty thread, silk thread, and so on.